Monday, March 28, 2011

Productive Weekend

This weekend was spent straightening up and getting into some projects that have been on my list for a long time.  One of these projects was making pillow cases for a friend of mine.  I thought a simple project would get me in the right mindset to being productive.  Oddly enough, I made the pillow cases out of a fabric shower curtain.



My friend has a small studio and wanted to liven the place up - she loved the print and wanted to use it somewhere else in the apartment.  So on a shopping trip we purchased the shower curtain for re-purposing.  I made a table runner and after completing that there was still a bunch of fabric left.  My friend decided she also wanted pillow cases to make the whole place tie together.






The texture of the fabric made it a little tougher to work with.  Getting a straight measure and cut proved to not be as simple a task as I initially thought,  but I managed in the end.  The fabric felt like a light burlap with stretch - very odd!  As you can see in the picture below, it has a lot of texture to it.







I love re-purposing, taking one thing and creating something entirely new and useful out of it.  And as I've never made standard sized pillow cases it was fun to figure out how to do it.  It's very simple, but I am a bit rusty on the sewing machine so it was good practice! 







I was really happy with how it turned out and I can't wait to see how fun they look in my friends apartment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment